Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Scrapfest 2011

This past weekend I had the opportunity to spend 2 fabulous days at Archiver's Scrapfest, held at the Mall of America. This is the fifth year that I have attended, and it was a lot of fun once again. On Friday I took 4 classes: Pink Paislee- Home for the Summer Layout and Cards, Creative Imaginations- Life Mini Album, Making Memories- Slice Dilly Dally Pages, and Hero Arts- Thinking Inking Cards. I enjoyed each class in its own way and it is always fun to play with new products!

For the Pink Paislee class we got to use some of their Hometown Summer line. We spent the entire class time working on assembling a two page layout. We went home with lots of extras and the directions to make the two cards, which I did that night. (I have not yet completed the layout because I don't have photos for it, but once I do, I will post a picture of the completed layout.) While I didn't learn anything new, I enjoyed this class, the products are fun, the atmosphere was great (especially with Heidi Swapp there playing background music during the instructional lulls!), and we got lots of product to take home!


Next was the Creative Imaginations mini album class. The description of this class talked about working with their Twinkling H20 paints, however, we spent a total of 2 minutes painting 2 colors onto two sheets of resist paper. While the effect was cool, I had hoped for more opportunity to work with this cool product and learn some new techniques. We spent the rest of the class attaching the papers (from their Sakura collection) to the chipboard pages of the album. I will post photos of this album once I finish it (which may be a while, I still have to finish my mini album from last year!).

After a lunch break with my wonderful husband (who works just a few miles away), I headed to the Making Memories class. The description of this class said that we would be working with die cuts made with their Slice machine. I don't own a Slice, but I figured any techniques that they taught could probably be used with Cricut die cuts as well. All of the pieces were precut for us, so all we had to do was assemble the page. This makes for quick assembly (and the only class that we completed the project in the time allotted), but it didn't really teach me much in terms of new techniques. We were just given the pieces and told we could add our own flair to them. The pages turned out cute, and I will photograph them and repost them when I have added photos.


Finally, I headed to the Hero Arts class taught by Jennifer McGuire and Shari Carroll. Oh my goodness! If you are into stamping and ever have the opportunity to take a class from Jennifer McGuire, TAKE IT! I have taken a class or two from her before and every time I am so inspired and come away with great new ideas and this was no exception! We worked with 3 different techniques to make three beautiful cards. I will be doing tutorials for these in upcoming posts because they are just too cool not to share!! We just had time to work with the techniques and most of the card assembly I did when I got home that night.


After I finished my classes, I got into line to do some make and takes. I ended getting into some pretty long (or maybe just slow moving) lines and only got 2 done before they started cutting off the lines for the day. On Saturday I went back with a friend and we stood in some more lines. I ended up completing 15 make and takes. The quality of the make and takes was definitely better than years' past and several of the manufacturers had people going back in the lines helping scrappers get started on a part of the project so that once they made it up to the table, they would spend less time there and (hopefully) keep the line moving. Here are the make and takes I completed (starting from the top left going from left to right): Making Memories, McGill, Authentique, Hampton Art, Echo Park, Sizzix, We R Memory Keepers, American Crafts, Basic Grey/3L/Hero Arts, Fancy Pants, Designs, May Road, Epiphany Crafts, Doodlebug Design, 7gypsies, and Core'dinations.


So, there you have it, it was a fun weekend and I am already looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

  1. Does Scrapfest have a feedback section to suggest improvements for next year?

    ReplyDelete